Demystifying Common 6 Electrical Myths and Misconceptions

Myth 1: You can’t get shocked if you touch a switched-off device.

Fact: Even when an electrical device is switched off, there can still be residual electricity in some parts of the circuit. Avoid touching electrical components unless you are certain the power has been fully disconnected. It’s best to unplug devices or turn off the circuit breaker when working on electrical appliances or outlets.

Myth 2: Rubber-soled shoes provide adequate protection from electrical shocks.

Fact: While rubber-soled shoes can offer some insulation, they are not sufficient protection against electrical shocks. Electricity can still pass through the body if there is a direct path to the ground. For any electrical work or repairs, it is essential to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, including insulated gloves and safety gear.

Myth 3: Power strips and extension cords can handle unlimited devices.

Fact: Power strips and extension cords have a maximum load capacity, and exceeding it can lead to overheating and potential fires. Always check the manufacturer’s guidelines for the maximum wattage and amperage before connecting devices. If you need more outlets, consider installing additional wall outlets or using a higher-rated power strip.

Myth 4: GFCI outlets are unnecessary in dry areas like living rooms.

Fact: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets are essential for safety, even in dry areas. GFCIs are designed to protect against electrical shocks and are particularly crucial in areas where water might be present, such as kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and outdoor spaces.

Myth 5: Lightbulbs with higher wattage are always better.

Fact: Using lightbulbs with higher wattage than recommended can overload the fixture and cause overheating. Always use lightbulbs with the correct wattage as specified on the fixture or in the user manual.

Myth 6: Electrical work is safe to DIY without proper knowledge and training.

Fact: Electrical work can be dangerous and complex, and attempting DIY repairs or installations without the necessary knowledge and training can lead to accidents and damage. Always hire a licensed and qualified electrician for any electrical work to ensure it is done safely and up to code.


By demystifying these common electrical myths and misconceptions, we hope to promote awareness and safety in dealing with electrical systems. Electricity is a powerful force that demands respect and caution. Knowing the facts can help you make informed decisions, protect yourself and your property, and ensure that your electrical setup operates efficiently and safely. When in doubt or when faced with electrical issues, always consult a professional electrician to avoid potential hazards and costly mistakes.

Contact Us

If you have any questions about our services or you are ready to schedule an appointment, feel free to contact us! We are always happy to hear from you.

(512) 788-4761

get in touch now